choosing a TMC
Travel management can become overwhelming, and working with a travel management company (TMC) makes sense.
There is more to business travel management than booking flights and accommodation: travel policy development, risk management and duty of care, tracking expenses, consolidating those expenses, and the list goes on.
Travel management can quickly become overwhelming, so working with a travel management company (TMC) makes sense.
So, how do you choose the right travel management company?
Start by identifying qualities that all TMCs should have. Here are 5 must-have characteristics we think are essential.
There’s no replacement for experience. Travel management companies that have been serving clients for years have experienced a little bit of everything: from airline strikes to natural disasters, political unrest to pandemics. They have come out of those crises more experienced and better able to serve their clients.
How do you determine if a travel management company has the level of experience you need?
- Ask how long they’ve been working with corporate clients.
- Ask about the evolution of their travel management company.
- Ask for references — an experienced TMC will have existing clients who are more than willing to speak with prospective clients on the TMC’s behalf.
Technology is driving the modern travel industry, and finding the correct fit for your business is important, it is not a one-size-fits-all choice. Your TMC should offer options and help you choose and integrate the right travel technologies for your business.
Why is technology so important?
The right travel technologies should help with:
- Risk management: Travel technologies can help you stay in touch with your Travelers, as well as help you monitor potentially dangerous situations around the world. The right technologies can help you better manage risk and live up to your duty of care responsibility.
- Automation: Technology can reduce the administrative burden of travel management. Digital travel management can increase efficiency and allow your travellers to focus on what matters most.
- Savings: A good management information system leads to savings. Technology can help you implement your travel policy, track and monitor expenses, identify inefficiencies, and lead to savings.
You and your travellers should be able to reach your TMC 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Travel disruptions happen and plans change. You need to know someone is there with effective solutions to help your travellers.
4. A full-service solution
A travel management company should be a one-stop shop for all things travel-related. Your TMC should be able to help with managing your entire program, from negotiating rates and shaping your travel policy to providing efficient cost effective itineraries for your travellers.
Think about it this way: In simplest terms, your TMC should be able to assist with all aspects of business travel, before, during and after trips. That’s a comprehensive service.
The use of technology comes with its risks, and you need to know that your TMC has the right security in place. Data related to payment methods, travel itineraries, and personal information need to be protected.