Hong Kong Travel Advisory
Exercise increased caution in Hong Kong due to civil unrest.
Since June 2019, several large scale and smaller political demonstrations have taken place in various areas of Hong Kong. Most have been peaceful, but some have turned confrontational or resulted in violent clashes. The protests and confrontations have spilled over into neighbourhoods other than those where the police have permitted marches or rallies. These demonstrations, which can take place with little or no notice, are likely to continue.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Hong Kong:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep a low profile.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebookand Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reportfor Hong Kong.
- S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.