Domestic Travel – Forms Required
The partial relaxation of travel restrictions was announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa and outlined in the COGTA Regulations issued in Gazette 43364 on 28 May. Further details were released in the directions issued by the Minister of Transport on 30 May 2020.
Air services have resumed for now on the Golden Triangle, with OR Tambo International, Cape Town International, King Shaka International and Lanseria International the first airports to open up again.
Under the revised Level 3 regulations, only certain categories of travellers are permitted to travel. These travellers must produce relevant documentation which needs to stipulate their reasons for travel.
ASATA urges travel consultants and their clients to familiarise themselves with the gazetted regulations to ensure seamless travel plans.
Where travel between provinces takes place, as is the case in air travel, passengers need to ensure their employers complete an Authorisation for business travel form by the employer. Other important forms can be accessed in Gazette 43364.
Below is a list of the various types of travel which are permitted during Level 3:
- Movement and travel by air between provinces: Form 2
- Carrying out work responsibilities or performing any service permitted under Alert Level 3, where a permit has been issued – Form 2
- Moving to a new place of residence – Form 6
- Moving to care for an immediate family member – Form 6
- Learners commuting to attend schools or institutions of higher learning – Form 3A / 3B as applicable
- Attendance of funerals, and transportation of mortal remains
- Obtaining medical treatment
- Persons who are returning to their place of residence from a quarantine or isolation facility
- Transportation of fuel, cargo and goods
Airlines have been provided with a copy of this form and have been requested to load it onto their systems.
If passengers don’t have the domestic screening form upon arrival at the airport, there will be hard copies available and passengers will be required to complete these forms at the Port Health table located at the entrance to the terminal.
For their own peace of mind, travellers are advised to carry a completed copy before they get to the airport.